LESS WAITING, MORE SKIING.
A single group of 10 is much better than 2-3 smaller groups using 1 helicopter
The trend for heli skiing operations is to offer skiing in small groups with multiple groups sharing a single helicopter, which we believe, impacts the quality of the ski program. We're bucking the trend because we know there are many more advantages to having just a single group using the helicopter rather than cycling through multiple small groups.
Top 8 Reasons Single Group Heliskiing is Better:
- Always be the first group skiing - At the start of the day, you are always the 1st group out into the mountains. If you are in Group 3 at a multi group operation, you need to wait at least 30 minutes for the heli to make 4 trips before getting picked up.
- More hours of skiing - At the end of the day, your group can keep skiing to the very end of our ski day since we do not need to start shuttling earlier in the afternoon in order for all groups get back to the lodge in time.
- More Exploration - At Tyax, we have access to a whopping 830,000 acres of terrain, meaning we have a lot of variety and we like to explore. To move from one zone to another, it is just a single flight with our Single Group format. At operations that operate with 3 groups per machine, it takes the heli 5 trips to move all groups to the new terrain. That is a big waste of fuel and ski time.
- Increase Safety - We ski in a group of 4-10 guests supported by 2 guides (or 4-6 guests + 2 guides on a Private package). This is fantastic for safety reasons as if there is an issue above the lead guide, the tail guide can help out.
- Two guides - We take grouping people of similar ability seriously. If there is a bit of a split, it may be possible on certain aspects to ski 2 different lines as there are 2 guides.
- Feeling tired, or tweaked your knee? No problem at Tyax. With just a single group, you are welcome to sit in the heli and skip a run or 2. You can't do that if sharing the heli with multiple groups.
- Thanks to a bigger helicopter and less people it is servicing, our Bell 212 can take on more fuel so we can explore deeper into the mountains on a single tank. This also means less time waiting for the heli to refuel.
- Gain more time to ski in variable weather; rather than anticipating 2 to 4 groups to come back to the lodge due to changing mountain weather, our single group can manage inclement weather more efficiently than multiple groups.
Single Group Heliskiing means more flexibility, resulting in more skiing and less waiting for you.